Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.
IDENTITY THEFT IS NOT A JOKE, JIM!
SIDE NOTE: I don’t get any kick back from linking these products! #notsponsored
- (1) Half Sheet Cake Layer
- Cake Filling (I’m using my Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Buttercream and Butter Ganache!)
- Vanilla Buttercream
- Large Offset Spatula
- Large Straight Edge Spatula
- Mini Offset Spatula
- Straight Edge Scraper
- Piping Bag
- 1A Piping Tip
- Half Sheet Board
- 60 ounces of yellow fondant (Fondarific is my favorite!)
- Brown Cake Dye
- 6 ounces of gray fondant
- Pearl Luster Dust
- Clean, fluffy paint brush
- X-Acto Knife
- Glasses Template
- Tie Template
- Large Fondant Rolling Pin
- Small Fondant Rolling Pin
- Pizza Cutter
- If you haven’t watched our Fill + Chill video, go do that! Those steps are exactly what we’re going to start out with. First, you’ll dam your first layer of cake with a 1A tip and piping bag filled with vanilla buttercream. Next spread your cake fillings in the middle. If you’re following along with our tutorial video, you’ll see that I spread the butter ganache on first, and then add the chocolate chip cookie dough buttercream. Spread that to the top of the dam and gently line up the second cake layer and lay it on top. Crumb coat the cake and chill it in the fridge until firm.
- After the cake is chilled, we’re going to put a thick coat of icing on it. You can see all the tips and tricks on how to do that here! Since this is a shirt, we want to make sure that the edges and corners are nice and crisp. After the cake is iced, chill it until the buttercream is firm. This should be about an hour.
- While the cake is being chilled, we’re going to work on some fondant accessories for the shirt. We’re going to make a neck-tie, a pair of vintage glasses, and some other odds and ends. You can find the templates for the neck-tie and glasses here!
- We’re going to start with the neck-tie. I’m going to take a little bit of my yellow fondant and add some brown dye to it. That will make the color a little darker, but still match the shirt. You can make your shirt and tie any color you like, but I think the assistant to the regional manager would be in hues that remind you of your favorite condiment- spicy brown, dijon, or yellow mustard! Roll the knot of the tie slightly thicker than the rest. Detail it where creases would be and round out the edges. Roll the length of the tie thinner, cut it and smooth the edges.
- Next we’ll work on the vintage glasses. Roll your gray fondant out and let it set for a moment to firm back up. Gently cut the glasses shape out with the X-Acto knife. Dust the glasses with the luster dust for a little extra shine!
- I’m going to make some pens and a business card. You can add whatever fun details you want! (Perhaps a beet? Maybe you want to go all out and make the Galactica!) Make it your own!
- Now that the cake is chilled down, we’re going to roll our yellow fondant and cover the cake. You can watch how we prepare and cover cakes HERE!
- I’m going to make a little collar for the shirt All you have to do is make two triangles and a band. Next we’ll do a shirt pocket, which is just a square! Super easy! Go all out or keep it simple, it’s totally up to you!
- Next we’ll place all our accessories on the cake. Use a little bit of water and your paint brush to secure your accessories.
- Dig right end or share with a friend! (Or binge watch The Office. You know you want to.)